- 18650: Most common battery size for mods that allow battery swapping.
- 510: Connection standard for vape mods where the tank's 1/4" male threads screw in to the battery's female threads.
- Atomizer (aka Atty): Replaceable accessory within a tank or clearomizer that houses the atomizer coil surrounded by a wick.
- Atomizer Coil or Coil: Metal wire in an atomizer that uses an electrical charge to heat and vaporize e-liquid. Oxidizes with use and will result in unpleasant "burnt" taste if not replaced regularly.
- Battery: 1) General term for power source in a vaping setup. 2) Rechargeable lithium ion battery that is used to power a mod.
- Box Mod: A regulated mod with its components (including non-removeable battery) packaged in a box or case.
- Cartomizer (aka Carto): "Consumable" part of rechargeable e-cigarettes that combines e-liquid cartridge and non-replaceable atomizer in one disposable unit.
- Cartridge: Part of e-cigarette that contains e-liquid and attaches to an atomizer.
- Chainvaping: Vaping multiple times rapidly in succession.
- Cigalike: E-cigarette with the same size and shape as tobacco cigarettes.
- Clearomizer (aka Clearo): Vape pen tank with glass window or tube and ego connection.
- Cylindrical Mod or Cigar Mod: A regulated mod in the shape of a cigar sometimes (incorrectly) called a vape pen. Often NOT variable voltage/variable wattage capable.
- Disposable: E-cigarette meant to be thrown away after use.
- Dripping: Vaping without a tank by directly dropping juice onto the atomizer or wick.
- Drip Tip: Removable/replaceable mouthpiece of a tank/clearomizer.
- Dry Hit: Unpleasant result of firing a dry coil (one not in contact with e-liquid)
- Ego: Connection standard for vape pens where the tank's female threads screw on to the battery's 1/2" male threads. Ego batteries are compatible with 510 tanks (but not the other way around) due to their double-threaded connectors, but such use is rare and not recommended. Not to be confused with Joyetech "eGo" devices which are vape mods utilizing 510 connection.
- Ego tank: Alternate name for clearomizer.
- IMR/ICR: Acronyms for the 2 most common types of lithium ion batteries used in mods (M=Manganese and C=Cobalt).
- mAh (milliAmp hour): A measure of battery capacity. The bigger the better.
- Mechanical Mod or Mech Mod: Unregulated mod whose battery voltage is controlled by adjusting the resistance of the coil (see RBA/RDA).
- Mod: Originally a custom built PV but now generally refers to a high performance battery utilizing a 510 connection.
- Ohm (Ω): A measure of resistance for atomizer coils.
- Personal Vaporizer (PV): 1) interchangeable with mod in common usage, sometimes Advance Personal Vaporizer (APV). 2) general term for vaping device
- RBA/RDA: Rebuildable Atomizer and Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer. Atomizer designed for use with mechanical mods where the vape experience is controlled by adjusting the resistance of the coil.
- Regulated Mod: Mod with chip or circuit board that controls the output voltage and manages battery safety (like short protection).
- Resistance: Key spec for atomizer coils and the tanks/clearomizers/atomizers that utilize them. Ranges from 0.1-3.0ohms. Lower resistance = higher temperatures and more vapor at the expense of faster e-liquid consumption, battery usage, and wattage required.
- Sub ohm: Vaping with atomizer coils under 1 ohm of resistance.
- Tank: General term for part of vaping setup that holds and vaporizes the e-liquid. Refillable with replaceable atomizers (unlike cartomizers).
- Temperature Control (TC): A regulated mod technology that automatically adjusts the voltage/wattage to maintain a consistent coil temperature (usually 400-480⁰F/ 200-250⁰C). Requires nickel (Ni) or titanium (Ti) coils.
- Variable Voltage/Variable Wattage (VV/VW): Methods of controlling the power output of a battery/mod and therefore the vapor production of an attached atomizer.
- Voltage (V): Measure of electrical output potential of a battery/mod.
- Watts or Wattage (W): Measure of electrical power produced by a battery/mod or the maximum power production capacity of the device. See resistance.
- Wick: Porous material in the atomizer that draws e-liquid from the tank to the atomizer coil.
Check out our vaping guides and tutorials.
Questions? We're Here To Help